By: Mary-Alice Farina
A Recipe For the Kids
This was featured on Top Chef and was prepared by chef Lisa. She was challenged to make something extra appealing to kids that was still healthy. We all know how difficult it can be to please a finicky young eater, and this recipe might just help you win that battle. Let us know how it works out!
- 1/2 seedless watermelon
- 1 cantaloupe or honeydew melon, halved, seeds removed
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into triangles
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons good-quality honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Seeds scraped from 1/2 vanilla bean (optional)
- Red and blue food coloring
- 12-15 bamboo skewers
1. Using a medium-sized melon baller, scoop the watermelon and cantaloupe into balls. Thread 1 piece of each watermelon, cantaloupe and pineapple onto each of the 12 to 15 bamboo skewers.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, honey, vanilla extract and vanilla bean seeds, if using. Put half the yogurt into a separate bowl; color one half of the yogurt with red food coloring, the other with blue.
3. Pour the yogurt into two squeeze bottles. Into small serving cups, squirt red yogurt and swirl with blue yogurt. Serve with the fruit skewers.